The other night I was awaken by a beeping carbon monoxide detector. I woke my hubby and asked him to climb on a chair to see what the words under the blinking light read. “Move to fresh air”. But ALL of the widows in the house were open doesn’t that mean there’s loads of fresh air in the house.
I didn’t know for sure so after an online search for police nonemergency number I found that they only receive calls up until 9pm HUH?!! At 2am that wasn’t going to work. So we called the police department and explained what was going on they sent the fire department. The fire fighters arrived (i know they were just waking up you could tell by there hair LOL) and used the gadget to test for CM and found nothing. Their suggestion was to replace the batteries and call them when in doubt. FALSE ALARM!! Thank goodness they were polite AND there was no CM.
So what did I learn from this?:
We need to take a disaster preparedness class with Red Cross or something. I remember when I was a youngster in school we practiced what to do in a fire and learned how to put out different types of fires. We knew where to stand or meet outside if there were a fire. There were a list of emergency contact numbers on the refrigerator.
I guess it’s time to get back to the basics. Maybe a visit to my local fire house can help me answer some of these questions. They can tell me which beep is a battery beep vs a GET OUT NOW beep on my carbon monoxide detector. Then I can pass on the info, after all my neighbors, friends and family can benefit from the info too.
Does your family have an emergency action plan?