Baby #2 Has Arrived


And so we welcomed our second baby into the world!! After what felt like a long labor but wasn’t really at all. Our second child entered the world with a great little cry.

Here’s my birth story.
Around 11pm on Thursday night I felt the first contraction. I got a little excited because it was day 10 after my due date and my midwives were talking about possible induction if things didn’t happen by Monday. EEEKK! I have to admit I was freaking out about being induced. Because of the pain I hear it causes and the possible affects it may have on my baby. Anyway I tried to sleep but that wasn’t working, not sure if it was because of the excitement or what so I got up and just started working on this list of things (that seemed to be in my head for this specific time) that just HAD to be done. Clean the bathroom, clean the kitchen, organize the baby drawer AGAIN, have a snack of courseπŸ˜‹, take a shower…you know that stuff.

Around 2am I decided to call my midwife and let her know what I was feeling; the pain was still bearable but getting more intense and a little closer together. They wanted me to call early during the laboring process because I live about 30 minutes from the hospital and my birth with Bean was pretty fast (4hours of active labor). I called my mom to give her a heads up since she would be coming along to handle and coach bean through the process. I also sent sistercousin and aunt Shelly a text so my blessingsway women can light there candles. We (my mom, hubby, Bean and I…the rest of the crew was in Cali for my aunt’s party) left the house around 6am in order to beat the traffic. I got checked only to find out that I was ONLY 6 DARN CENTIMETERS. WHAT?!? I had been walking around 4cm for the past week! UGH!! I thought the second time around was going to be a lot faster. Anyway I was discharged and advised NOT to go home but go grab a bite to eat and walk around. Around 9:30 I call the new midwife on call Donna Roosa, of Avalon Midwives, and tell her that not much has changed and I wanted I go home and try to get some rest. I just felt like laboring at home would feel a lot better than laboring in the front of Morristown Medical Center (even though we found a cute little chipmunk to keep us occupied), plus Bean was getting a little restless. Donna had me come in to be checked again and mentioned that she didn’t want me to go home since I lived so far and was 6cm. She checked again and said I had progressed to 7. HAHA 3 hours and 1 more cm😳, so she suggested that I have my water broken just to encourage “things” to get moving. I got cleaned up a bit and hubby and I had to start walking again but this time in the hospital between the labor & delivery unit and the mother/baby unit. I was breathing through the contractions, squatting in the hallways, laughing with friends and family via text, laughing with my hubby and the hospital staff that we passed…keeping my spirits high and working on that happy hormone that helps during laborπŸ˜†.

20130813-085944.jpgHubby slept or played a darn video game (as we walked) for most of this process.

Around 12 noon Donna checked me again. STILL 7CM!!! Haha! So she asked if I wanted to take some type of oral hormone to encourage things to happen. Of course I said no let’s try something else, she suggested the shower and started the water. She came out and I asked if my mom and Bean could join us. At this point she remembered that I am still breastfeeding Bean and suggested bringing him in to nurse. That nipple stimulation would take me to where I needed to be. OH YES!! With less than 10mins of him nursing, the contractions were closer together and A LOT more intense. I had progressed to 9cm within 20 minutes.

Bean looked a little worried as he squeezed me (and I’m sure I was squeezing him a bit too). My mom scooped him and started to explain what was happening. She whipped out the iPad 😏, and he was ok for a little. That is until he heard me make some “funny” noises. Thank goodness we practiced this. My mom reminded him to tell me to breath so he would come over for each contraction and as hubby massaged my lower back, Bean jumped in to rub my back or belly and remind me to “breath mom” with the sweetest voice ever. That was so comforting and made both the nurses and me very happy. Good energy for that room!

Donna started filling the birthing tub and I climbed in. Very shortly after entering the pool I felt the urge to start pushing. NOTHING seemed to be happening. Donna checked me again and told me I just had a little more cervix blocking the process. I started losing energy, I was hungry and feeling a little defeated. My team was awesome and got me back in the zone. Donna asked if I wanted to get out of the pool and allow her to lift (I think that’s what she said) the cervix then get back in to deliver my baby (I love that she honored and respected my strong desire to birth in the pool and catch my own baby). By the time we got to the bed and she lifted my cervix the head was THERE I could feel it with my own hands. I decided NOT to transition back to the pool and pushed right there. The head was out and I could hear my mom gasp, Bean said “BABY!”, and hubby said you can do it. They unwrapped the cord from the baby’s neck and it was time to push again, “push from here (tap on belly) not from your neck” Donna coached. I could now feel the shoulders. 2 pushes later baby was out, on my chest and being encouraged to nurse!! πŸ˜…πŸ˜˜πŸ˜πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠ

I had been waiting for this moment…I checked between the legs and greeted my BOY with a kiss and a smile. My mom was on the side and I could hear her say “A BOY?” LOL my entire family (expect my dad) and most of my friends were very sure that I was having a girl.

I loved the fact that this time around the baby was immediately placed on my chest, encouraged to nurse and remained attached to the umbilical cord for a bit of time before being taken to be weighed and all. We all, including Bean got to visit with the baby as he lay there skin-to-skin for quite some time before the nurses took him. And when they did take him he was only steps away from mama and hubby was right with him. They even took good care of my placenta which the knew I was having encapsulated.

So I didn’t get to birth in the pool as I hoped. And since I was so far past my due date we didn’t have the photographer or my aunt and sistercousins physically there. But I ABSOLUTELY LOVED my experience!!

This post is kind of long so I’ll save my thoughts on delivering in a “baby-friendly” hospital vs. one that’s not so close to that status AND my reason for and thoughts on having Bean (my 2 year old son) present during the process for another post.

I hope you enjoyed my birth story and please share. I’ve found that the more stories are shared the more excited people get about the birthing process. Especially among African-Americans with some alarming views about birth AND the horrifying infant mortality numbers. So please please share this experience and yours too😊.

20130813-102422.jpgFirst Latch with big brother’s help.

20130813-103002.jpgNana giving big brother some tips.

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | 6 Comments

Post navigation

6 thoughts on “Baby #2 Has Arrived

  1. Carolyn Burnett

    AWESOME! You guy look great, and happy. Can’t wait to see the little one and beans. How are you feeling?

  2. Michele Davenport

    Congratulations! What a wonderful story, and experience. Welcome to our newest addition. I cannot to meet him, and to give the others a hug.

  3. Yay, congrats! Beautiful family!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Radical Doula

Where social justice & birth activism meet


Finding balance in life.

There's no place like....

Paris, London, & Havana. Four homies from Barnard take it on the road!

Vicky...the Northern Chicky

Grab a Glass of Wine and Let Me Tell You About My Day!

The Laotian Commotion

Lao-American honesty about parenting, relationships, and you

Family, Relationships and Personal Situations

FRaPS: Family, Relationship and Personal Situations are our specialty. Let us help you stay strong and full of life. Let's put an end to bullying and school shootings!!

Parenting And Stuff

Not a "how to be a great parent" blog


Fun Learning Resouces for Kids


A collective of African-American, African, Caribbean and multi-racial women who are committed to transforming the birthing experiences for Black women

The Progress

a Progressive Pupil blog

Live, Love, Learn, and Laugh

one woman's journey

No Meat Athlete

Plant-Based Diet for Fitness | Vegan Recipes & Nutrition | Vegan Fitness & Running

The Mahogany Way

Loving The Ordinary & Capturing Moments


A topnotch site

This is the Diary of My Stylish World

Wife, Mother, and lover of all things Fashion

The mindless Sojourner

Caressing my mind

My love affair with running

Here I am running, eating and breathing my way through life in beautiful Sydney (Powered by oats and tea)

Yoli's Green Living

one woman's journey

%d bloggers like this: